From generation to generation the knowledge is taught, learned and reinterpreted.learn more
160 years ago the entrepreneur and tanner from Langenlois, Josef Hiedler, discovered his passion for the winemakers craft. His love for great wines led him to found the estate in 1856, together with his wife Anna. Soon after, the first Hiedler-wines were born, made from grapes picked in the vineyards in Thal and Spiegel.
His son Ludwig Hiedler (2nd generation), tanner and vintner, gradually expanded the operation and started to acquire additional parcels of Kamptal's top vineyards. Together with his wife Anna he bought the first cellar at Rosenhügel which is still used today. In 1936 he planted one of the very first 100% Grüner Veltliner vineyards in Thal. Those vines date back to a time when yield was not the prime concern of winemakers: middle-sized fruit, rather loose-berried, with a very 'down-to-earth' taste. Values we reclaim in the selection of our grapevines to this day.
Dr. Bruno Hiedler was a doctor and continued the family tradition in the third generation. Together with his wife Hildegard he made further investments to modernize the estate and extend the vineyards. He was the first vintner to plant Weissburgunder (Pinot Blanc) in the Danube region (1955) - at a time, when small grapes were anything but 'en vogue'. By doing so, he showed good sense of the variety and laid the foundation for great burgundy's in Schenkenbichl .
In 1980 Ludwig Hiedler took over the estate in fourth generation. He was the first Hiedler who dedicated his entire professional life to winemaking and his efforts set the course for the future of the winery. Together with his Spanish wife María Ángeles, farsighted investments in the cellar and vineyard, and with the introduction of the label with the owl, their wines attracted attention from around the globe. The passion continues in the fifth generation with the two brothers Ludwig Jr. and Dietmar already preparing to take over the traditional family business.
Together with the most renowned wineries of the region, the estate founded the „Österreichische Traditionsweingüter (Traditional Wine Estates of Austria)“ association in 1992. Declared goal of the members is to classify the historically best vineyards of the Danube area (Erste Lage; First Growth) and to express the characteristics of their region, their soil, their climate and their varieties in their wines.